Today we got a Facebook invitation for a party on 30th June for all the people who participated in the recent Surbiton Food Festival. Therefore it is probably a good time to reflect on the festival itself and Hoi Polloi’s participation in it
News of its imminent arrival was heralded by Surbiton’s yarn bombers
It opened shortly afterwards with The Apple Blossom Open Day and The Seething Freshwater Sardine Festival on Saturday 3rd and Sunday 4th May respectively.
The middle weekend, the 10th and 11th May was marked by The Surbiton Village Fete and Dry Hopped Beer Festival.
The final weekend featured The Surbiton Farmers Market and The Seething Community Sports Day on and Picnic both on Saturday 17th May and The Big Brunch on Sunday 18th May
Throughout the fortnight of the festival local pubs and restaurants organised a plethora of events including a children’s pizza workshop, cheese tastings, dim sum cookery classes, Peruvian cerviche, a hog roast & boule event and several live music evenings. For the full programme please see
Of particular note was the May Creative Youth Gala Dinner at The Holiday Inn Kingston, where the guest of honour was the President of Creative Youth,HRH The Earl of Wessex, KG, GCVO.
The Surbiton Food Festival also saw the introductory trial of (the very interesting and community minded) The Kingston Pound.
Ok then what did Hoi Polloi do?
- We took a leading role in the in the inaugural brainstorming meeting, most follow up planning meetings and helped liaise with other local retail businesses.
- We ran a stall n the Sunday of The Surbiton Village Fete, which was most enjoyable.
- We advertised in the programme
- We had a special offer of 20% off all food and table related items throughout te festival
- We took part in the Kingston Pounds trial throughout the festival and still taking them until 31 May
- We bought our own personal Kingston Pounds and spend them all at The Village Fete on delicious food and thirst quenching drinks
- We promoted the Festival and Kingston Pound physically in our shop and frequently on various forms of social media
- We have a herb planter outside our shop and perhaps most importantly..
- We attended and enjoyed immensely many of the events and
- We cannot wait for next year!
So put the following dates in your diary .
Surbiton Food Festival – 2 to 17 May 2015